台灣植物誌 第二版 Flora of Taiwan, 2nd edition Vol. 3
51. HAMAMELIDACEAE 金縷梅科
LI, HUI-LIN and HSIEH, CHANG-FU
Deciduous or evergreen shrubs or trees, often with stellate pubescence. Leaves alternate, rarely opposite, simple or palmately lobed, the teeth often glandular; stipules often 1-2, usually persistent, sometimes large, rarely wanting. Flowers bisexual, polygamous or monoecious, regular or irregular, small, perigynous or epigynous. Calyx-tube adnate to the ovary, the lobes 4-5, rarely 6-7, imbricate, rarely valvate. Petals 4-5, or wanting, usually valvate, rarely imbricate or circinate. Stamens 4-5, or sometimes more, perigynous, 1-seriate, the filaments free; anthers 2-celled, the connectives often produced. Ovary inferior, half-inferior, or rarely superior, 2-celled; styles subulate, free, often recurved, usually persistent; ovules 1 or several in each cell, anatropous, pendulous. Fruit a woody, 2-valved, 2-celled capsule; exocarp coriaceous; endocarp horny. Seeds often winged, albuminous, the testa black, horny; embryo erect.
About 23 genera with 150 species, chiefly in subtropical and warm temperate regions of both hemispheres, six genera in Taiwan.
KEY TO GENERA
1. Leaves palmately lobed; ovary with several ovules in each cell… 5. Liquidambar
1. Leaves penninerved; ovary with 1 ovule in each cell.
2. Petals developed, conspicuous.
3. Style short; capsule with calyx tube surrounding about the lower half; leaves deciduous… 1. Corylopsis
3. Style long; capsule entirely enclosed in a calyx tube; leaves evergreen… 4. Eustigma
2. Petals wanting.
4. Ovary exposed; sepals and stamens hypogynous on margin of receptacle; stamens 6 or less… 3. Distyllum
4. Ovary free, enclosed in an urceolate receptacle tube; stamens 10 or less.
5. Fruits stalked, distichous at main axis… 2. Distyliopsis
5. Fruits sessile, arranged spirally at main axis… 6. Sycopsis
1. CORYLOPSIS Sieb. & Zucc. 蠟瓣花屬
Deciduous shrubs, rarely small trees. Leaves alternate, slender-petiolate, ovate or oblong, serrate, stipulate; stipules large, caducous. Flowers bisexual, yellow, sessile or nearly so, in nodding axillary racemes, appearing before the leaves, each flower with a sheathing bract at the base; calyx-tube adnate to the ovary, the lobes 5, short, valvate; petals 5, perigynous, ovate-spathulate, clawed; stamens 5, perigynous, alternating with short, entire or 2-3-parted scale-like staminodes; filaments subulate; anthers basifixed, the cells separated by a broad connective, dehiscing longitudinally; ovary half-inferior, 2-celled; styles 2, distinct, slender, divaricate, the stigmas short; ovules solitary in each cell, pendulous. Capsule woody, broadly obovoid, with 2 spreading and recurved beaks, 4-valved; endocarp horny, separating from the exocarp. Seeds 2, oblong, the testa black, shining.
About 30 species in the eastern Himalayas and S. China. Two species in Taiwan.
KEY TO SPECIES
1. Leaves ovate to broadly ovate, 3-6.5 cm long, acute; capsules 8 mm in diameter… 1. C. pauciflora
2. Leaves elliptic to ovate-elliptic, 7-10 cm long, acuminate; capsules 10 mm in diameter… 2. C. stenopetala
1. Corylopsis pauciflora Sieb. & Zucc., Fl. Jap. 1: 48. pl. 20. 1835; Li in Fl. Taiwan 3: 2. pl. 457. 1977. 小葉瑞木 Pl.1