台灣植物誌 第二版 Flora of Taiwan, 2nd edition Vol. 1
9. SCHIZAEACEAE 海金沙科
DEVOL, CHARLES E. and SHIEH, WANG-CHUENG
A family of very diverse plants but characterized by having ovoid, nearly sessile or short stalked sporangia; annulus apical, complete, and dehiscencing by a vertical slit.
A family of four genera, each of which could be considered as a separate family, two genera in Taiwan.
KEY TO GENERA
1. Ferns with a slender twining rachis; spores trilete… 1. Lygodium
1. Ferns with a sterile fronds linear and grass-like or dichotomously dissected and somewhat fan-shaped; spores monolete… 2. Schizaea
1. LYGODIUM Sw. 海金沙屬
Rhizome subterranean creeping, covered with stiff septate hairs, protostelic; stipes usually closely spaced, cross section shows a single round bundle; rachis twining, of indeterminate growth, bearing short sterile and fertile branches, these dimorphic, sterile branches borne lower on rachis; venation usually free, forking. Sporangia borne in 2 rows, each covered by a separate indusium. Spores trilete, subtriangular. Gametophyte a lobed thallus, midrib present.
About 40 species in tropical and subtropical regions, two species in Taiwan.
KEY TO SPECIES
1. Lateral branches bi-tripinnate; sterile pinnules narrowly lobed, not articulate at base… 1. L. japonicum
1. Lateral branches pinnate; sterile pinnules ovate, articulate at base… 2. L. microphyllum
1. Lygodium japonicum (Thunb.) Sw. in Schrad. Journ. Bot. 1800 (2): 106. 1801; DeVol in Fl. Taiwan 1: 84. pl. 25. 1975. 海金沙 Pl.28
Lygodium microstachyum Desv. In Berl. Nat. Mag. 5: 308. 1811; Ogata, Icon. Fil. Jap. 7: p1. 323. 1936.
Rachis twining, glabrous, bearing very short pubescent primary branches (3-8 cm long), dormant bud covered with pale brown hairs; secondary branches 3-8 cm long, pubescent, opposite; sterile pinnules 3-5 lobed, central lobe often much elongated, pubescent along costa and veins, pinnules not articulate at base; fertile pinnules short, much contracted, deeply lobed. Sporangia borne on the margin of the finger-like lobes.
Distributed in India, Australia, the Philippines, China, Japan and Korea.
TAIPEI: Chingmei, Kao 3392; Shulin, Do 735*. ILAN: Is. Kueishan, Kuo 1579. HSINCHU: Shihtoushan, Kuo 837. TAOYUAN: Suzuki 6056. TAICHUNG: Pahsienshan, Chuang 2800. NANTOU: Chitou, Kuo 1859; Sun Moon Lake, DeVol 1227. CHIAYI: Chiayi City, DeVol 6026; Wufeng, Kuoh 3937. TAINAN: Kuangtzuling, Hsieh 5. KAOHSIUNG: Liukuei, Hsu 9314. PINGTUNG: Nanjenshan, Hsu 7831; Hsiaoliuchiu, Hosokawa 1555. TAITUNG: Chihpen, Kao 6814; Is. Lanyu, Kuo 2215. HUALIEN: Chingshuishan, Shimizu 11617.