台灣植物誌 第二版 Flora of Taiwan, 2nd edition Vol. 1
3. SELAGINELLACEAE 卷柏科
TSAI, JINN-LAI and SHIEH, WANG-CHUENG
Perennial herbs. Stems slender, creeping, rooting at intervals or ercet, usually without branches on lower part, rooting near base or with stout, short, densely tufted stems made up of many branches of about the same length, which roll up when dry. Leaves small, simple, with a single vein, always bearing an inconspicuous ligule on the adaxial side at its base (which is only prominent during its early development); vegetative leaves monomorphic and spirally arranged, or more often dimorphic and usually arranged in two median and two lateral rows on the branches, the median leaves usually smaller and of a different shape from the lateral leaves the single axillary leaf (best seen from lower side) borne at the forking of each branch, being somewhat different from othen leaves. Strobili usually borne on the ends and sides of branches; sporophylls quite different from the vegetative leaves, however, a few species do not have the sporophylls in compact strobili; microsporophylls with a single microsporangium which contains a large number of microspores; megasporophylls with a single megasporangium which contains four megaspores; microspores being very much smaller and their color usually different from that of the megaspores; sporangia round or oval, opening by a transverse slit.
A family with only one genus, cosmopolitan.
1. SELAGINELLA Beauv. 卷柏屬
Characters of family.
Over 700 species in the world, abundant in tropical forests, with 14 in Taiwan.
KEY TO SPECIES
1. Densely tufted stems stout and short, made up of many branches of nearly equal length… 14. S. tamariscina
1. Stems slender, creeping or erect.
2. Stems creeping, rooting at intervals.
3. Sporophylls monomorphic.
4. Plants widely creeping; leaves nearly entire, with a distinct midrib; sporophylls in short compact strobili… 11. S. remotifolia
4. Plants forming dense mats; leaves distinctly ciliate, without midrib; sporophylls in loose strobili… 10. S. nipponica
3. Sporophylls dimorplic.
5. Stems including leaves 6-9 mm wide… 1. S. boninensis
5. Stems including leaves 3-5 mm wide.
6. Median leaves ovate, nearly entire… 2. S. ciliaris
6. Median leaves narrowly ovate to lanceolate, acuminate-aristate… 5. S. heterostachys
2. Stems erect, rooting at base, or bearing rhizophores.
7. Sporophylls dimorphic.
8. Stems 15-35 cm tall, without branches at base; median leaves cordate… 7. S. labordei
8. Stems 6-15 cm tall, branched at base; median leaves ovate… 8. S. leptophylla
7. Sporophylls monomorphic.
9. Leaves entire… 3. S. delicatula
9. Leaves serrulate or ciliate.